Mountain Woods Golf Club
“Our Future Looks Bright!”
2016 Year In Review
1. There were two new members to our management team and major upgrades to or grounds maintenance equipment.
Golf Operations Manger & PGA Professional: The addition of Glenn Kennedy, PGA of Canada Professional & Golf Operations Manager was a seamless transition. Glenn came to our club with vast golf knowledge and skills that were quickly utilized by members, guests and the entire staff at the club. He has quickly become the leader of the Professional shop and I would personally like to thank Glenn for the professionalism and work ethic that he brought to Mountain Woods. A special thank you to Glenn’s family for the sacrifices that they made this summer while Glenn was working in Moncton. I am very excited to welcome Glenn back in 2017 and look for him to continue to make a difference in our operation.
Golf Course Superintendent: With all of the golf course marketing focused on golf course playing conditions and capital equipment purchases, most of the golfing public knows the name Dave Davey by now. Dave is a Professional in every aspect. His knowledge and willing to continue to learn and educate himself will only continue to allow us to evolve into what this golf course can be… and that is, the best 4 star layout and playing conditions in the area. Thank you Dave, I look forward to learning from you for years to come!
The golf club purchased new technology (many new pieces of turf grass equipment) that we believe will assist our staff in changing the turf grass’s health in a faster period of time. The biggest game changer for the golf club was the purchase of our new Toro aerator and mini-tine kit. Aeration to the greens was completed many times this year and we believe that the turf grass responded very well. Many exciting years to come!
2. Junior Golf Development:
The junior program for the club members was a great success this year. Our juniors enjoyed weekly golf clinics followed by 5 to 9 holes of golf. The challenge to get the kids on the golf course playing was graciously taken on by Dana Murray. Dana, an accomplished player in his own right, volunteered to spend many hours assisting with the weekly instruction and mentoring the kids as they played golf out on the golf course. A special thank you to Dana, I look forward to working with you and the kids again this season.
Woodie Somerville: for his countless hours assisting (in all reality completing) the scoring and determining the results for all of Mountain Wood’s Invitational tournaments as well as the Club Championship each year. Woodie is always the first to arrive to complete registration and last to leave after the results are determined.
Tony Zuorro: Tony is always ready to lend a helping hand whether it be working in the professional shop, backshop cleaning carts or member clubs, gripping sets of clubs, setting up and receiving corporate tournaments after their round, marshaling the course or helping out with anything else we ask of him.
Greens Covers: We had a great turnout from the membership to help a small crew of grounds maintenance staff cover and spread straw over 9 greens. Thank you all very much; it is so nice to have volunteers step up when required. We will be looking for additional members to assist in uncovering the greens this spring.
4. Tournaments: Congratulations to all of our champions in 2017
• Stroke Play: Leanne Richardson, Country Meadows
• Scramble Format: Kris Harvey, Fredericton & Lynn Richford, Nackawic
Arley Enright Senior Men’s Invitational
• Stroke Play: Louis Boudreau, Pine Needles
• Scramble Format: Michael McClellan, Moncton & Mike McQuinn, Petitcodiac
• Stroke Play: Clarke MacKenzie, Kingswood Golf Club
• Scramble Format: Alex Wynter & Matt Woodworth, Country Meadows
Roger Burns Men’s Invitational
• Amateur Champions: Jonathan Bouley & Remi Comeau, Lakeside Golf Club
• Professional Division Champions: Troy Howe, Golftown & Kevin Dugas, Links at Montigue
• Junior Boy’s: Brock Forsythe
• Ladies’: Carole Lemoine
• Men’s: Co Champions, Mike Forsythe and Roger Nason
• Senior Men’s: Gord Hopkins
Mixed Club Champions:
• Ben Allard & Wendy Pooley
Men’s Night Divisional Champions:
• Roger Nason & Mike Oxner
• Marty Wry & Ray Dunn
• Jason Schella & Dan Guimond
• Gary Hetherington & Steve Higginbotham
• Darrell Culligan & Ted Cormier